Waiting blows, particularly where money is involved, so I started chasing down some possible routes to get marketing quotes, materials, or exposure. This was a blue-sky idea fest, and I just called various organizations that I knew about.
- California Governor's Office of Economic Development
[Got a director and his contact info, called, he gave me his email, sent a query]
- Harold and Pauline Price Center for Entrepeneurial Studies,
UCLA Anderson School of Management
[Called and they said they'd check and call me back by tomorrow]
- Chico State (my Alma Mater)
[Called. They have a newsletter in which I can promote my book when it's ready ]
Business Department, Dean's Office
[Called. Got Dean's office. They're between semesters right now, but she scheduled an email to the staff there for a day or two before classes restart. Should happen in about 3 weeks.]
Communications Department, Dean's Office
[Called, no answer. Leaving a message seemed pointless. I'll call back when classes restart.]
- Google, where I worked a few years ago, has an "alumni" group, so I checked it out. Looking at the stuff there, it's more for finished work (announcements) than requests for comment.
- Just occurred to me to check with my local Barnes & Noble (looks like they occasionally have local author book signings)
[Called, this store doesn't do local-author sales, but I got the email for the community relations person, so I zapped out an email to find out if there's anything they do do]
- The above experience reminded me to check for other brick & mortar bookstores, and shockingly, there are basically none in the immediate area. The Borders closed, there's a new-age place, and (oddly) a mysteries-only place, but that's it for the bricks-and-mortar crowd. Ouch. Growing up, I remember having half a dozen to choose from. What is the world coming to?!?
- Next thought: local library. Maybe they have a "local author shelf" or book signings or something.
[Called, got the number of the person to talk to, not there. Will call back]
- The chamber of commerce might have something as well. They have a networking night coming up in a couple weeks. I'll check it out.
- There's also a local writer's club meeting on the 11th, which I will attend. Not sure what to expect there... it may be "professionals only", or it may be a chat-club. Only one way to find out.