Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Final Draft Submitted?

I'm not sure if that's the right term. I got my Rx edit back, and it contained more solid advice, which I took. I also took a final opportunity to make sure my facts were up-to-date (I reference the price of gold and some other "current values" for legality, licensing, and other stuff like that) and added a paragraph to an appendix. Hopefully there will be no more "content" changes from here on out, just grammar/spelling/punctuation tweaks.

One noteable snafu was discussion of title. I had maintained, from my first phone call all the way back with Bob, through Leah, and now to Kathi, that I wanted help with "cover design and title selection". Somehow the "and title selection" got lost by the wayside, and the editor had just ok'd my working title. Title choice is a Very Important Thing when it comes to sales of any book, and while I'm flattered that my working title passed without comment, I really do want to leverage the editor's expertise here. I sent a separate email in asking the editor (through Kathi) to explicitly consider alternate titles.

I'm also getting a bit nervous about the content getting frozen. I felt like I had "finished" the book more than a month ago, and nothing substantial has changed content-wise, but since it's nonfiction, and I'm a first-timer through this process, I'm starting to experience an irrational fear that I've gotten everything wrong and people will tear the book to shreds. Given the preparation and research I've done, I really don't think that's possible, but that doesn't seem to help. I think that has to do with the "irrational" part of "irrational fear". Pooh.

A word about self-publishing also: I find all these blogs by authors who are "traditionally publishing", and they all warn you about self-published authors having to keep big boxes of books in the basement. (woo! alliteration!) That seems to be completely wrong nowadays. iUniverse does print-to-demand fulfillment for a variety of major customers (Amazon.com, B&N) for both their online and bricks-and-mortar stores. That means that unless I want a box or two to sell (or sign, or give away, or...) I shouldn't actually have an inventory. Ever. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jeff:

    A lot of people have bad perceptions about the self-publishing industry. However, authors who do actually have quite a bit more control over their own success - why? Because with most self-publishing companies, authors can set their own price, royalty, etc.

    I liken it to (and I said this as a comment to a question and author had about self-publishing) entrepreneurship vs. a day job. You are definitely in further control of your destiny as a business owner than working for someone else. Though, it can typically be a bit more "scary" to get started.

    Keep up with telling your story, Jeff. I'm still listening...*smile*

    ReplyDelete